Monday, January 2, 2012

Austin's Entry for January 2012

Signin on

Well Chris I honestly feel like I understand less now about what you're trying to achieve out there then I did before you wrote us. An oath like that seems particularly pointless; I look forward to hearing all manner of fascinating stories which I will be given exactly no semi-empirical reason to believe... besides the fact that I trust you, of course. Still I've gathered the Order has a solid, reliable background if nothing else. I'm not sure about the others at the moment. As for me I'm currently trying to take stock of what's going on here on Earth, for now. Presumably that's not where you are. You really wouldn't believe the kind of hysterics going on right now; not outright panic, it's more subtle than that. Every prejudice and superstition anyone has ever held has been reinforced ten-fold the past few months, and there is understandable widespread hoarding of perishables and water. There are also rampant arrests and confusion amongst the police and military. Society isn't exactly unraveling, nor does it seem like it's about to, but anything might happen and we're as powerless to do anything about it as ever. T'is the emergent order.

My priority of late has been the Council. It's a shame how well democrats fit in here and feel so at home. For all its commitment to the dissemination of truth the FC has revealed itself to be overwhelmingly communist in sentiment, or at least populist, which actually shouldn't be too surprising. Yet at the same time there are definitely people like me, here, perhaps all of them; people the other orders would have immediately spat out. I'm making friends, and we're all putting out feelers and trying to figure out what exactly we ought to do. Seems pretty obvious to me that all we really can do for now is learn and stay on our toes. Intellectual minorities stand to benefit the most from Magic; now that I've had some time to brood it's literally impossible for me not to expend at least some of my energy conceiving of ways to use theosophic knowledge and power to frustrate the political class.

So alright... it's been a bit difficult. My mentors tell me I have not truly awoken, but I continue to study. I've taken a fascination with the arcanum of Time and Fate since they were most intriguing and disturbing. We stand to potentially answer once and for all the question of free will (violent shudder).Yet there is also probably Ontological wisdom to be sought in this field. It seems to me that at the center of our prosaic understanding of existence is a logical fallacy; either existence has to have always existed (impossible) or it must have been created (impossible). One of these must be true, even if both seem impossible. I don't know what exactly I stand to gain in terms of applied spell-weaving assuming I even make it that far. There are probably so many more immediately practical things to learn, and I DO try to stay diversified somewhat... but, well finding out how to shapeshift has become quite a high priority as well. Anyway this arcanum frightened me the most, and I have become irresistibly drawn to it, and yet of course knowledge IS power.

Anyway again, clearly I've been just waiting for an opportunity to go on and on about myself. I'm missing you all. No matter who I'm around I feel lonely without you chaps. It was always nice after a ridiculous day full of dregs and drones, to come home to the feeling of “Ahh... real people.” Keep me posted. I'm as anxious for insights of any kind as much as Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment