Sunday, January 1, 2012

Christian's Entry for January 2012


((OOC: Hi everybody! It's been awhile, I know. But I need to stay on topic here with my post. So like every post you guys do, please start your post with a total of the exp earned by your post. For instance: 1exp on time, 1exp subplot, 1exp included stuff from other people's, 1exp progress towards goal = 4exp))

Hey everybody. I apologize for taking so long to write; you have no idea how busy I have been. You'd think that the Free Council would be more of a party Order, but as it stands, it seems that my time has been extremely limited.

Don't anyone think that I am not committed to our cause: Believe me. I was there that night we fought the Deep Ones. I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for the stand we made against the shoggoths. I hope anyone reading this will be sensitive to my ability ( or lack there of) to write to you all. I do want to let you know how things are going, and especially tell you all everything in case something is relevant to what you all are doing.

So, I joined “the Carpenter’s order” the day we got back from Antarctica, and none of you have seen me since, not even my family. It’s quite the commitment to join the Order, but a commitment well worth it I think. You will understand when I tell you what I hope to learn here and what I hope to win to our cause. My gosh where to start...

How about how I live? That’s a nice place to start I think. Life here is... very hard. No electronics, no music, no fun. All we do here is serve: following the example of the greatest master who ever lived. I spend hours reading from dusty tomes, and hours more waxing floors, shoveling snow... and uncountable other things. I subjected myself to all of it, and still do... I read and heard from all that only a call of the Oracles could unite the Orders, and this is the only of the Legacies that knows the first things about how to find one. I would not resist if I had to spend two years to find out if they even exist... at least I would if I could. But we don’t know a thing about when the Old Gods will return. We have no clue what time and day it will be. I might not have two years. The fastest any apprentice has climbed the ranks of his order is five years. I am hoping to accomplish the same in just that many months. MONTHS! Crazy, I know, but that’s how these things work. We’re special... not just me, all of you... and I have moved more swiftly through the ranks than any other apprentices. Not because they just flipped a switch, but because I am genuinely getting the material. It’s so similar to what I had in religion that I understand it without too much trouble.

I hate being so cut off from the real world here, despite how nice everybody is. Real world things are happening, and I bet they matter to our investigations! Did any of you hear anything about some huge storm that flooded Tokyo? What about those weird crustacean bodies washing to shore on the great lakes, then vanishing later on? What about all those tweenage kids going missing in NYC? Somebody has to know more, and if not, they must be looked into. If there is other notable news anybody knows about PLEASE TELL ME! I want to know everything that you’ve learned, especially if it is relevant to our investigations.

So this next month is going to be the start of a really hard time for me. Has anyone here heard of the “Vow of Stranger?” It’s an awful thing... the worst. But in order to be initiated into the order I MUST stay a stranger until I make those I care about know me. I really don’t know what that means, but I do know the words of the spell. The rote, the vow... whatever that means.

“I am not myself. I die today to be reborn the day my soul is real without its body. I am the faceless stranger now. The orphan and the beggar. The prostitute and the thief. I will be in their world, I will know their wisdom. In my anonymity I will also know the unknown, though I will hide behind different eyes”

There are many here like me which have never made this covenant before, and they’re all pretty ordinary. There are few that have made this promise and still came back, and they all bear some scarring. Some of them seem a little insane, while others are missing limbs or otherwise physically disabled. Creepy stuff. When you make the promise, you swear never to talk about how you learn things, only what you learn. So I will never be able to give specifics about what happens to me... nothing you could use to positively identify me. Suffice it to say that there are some parts that don’t seem so bad, though you’d laugh if I told you what those were.

So I won’t mention them. Instead I’ll tell you about a legend I head about while living here, a bit of interesting lore that might be important yo us. When the world first began, there were no other races. There was no magic, only pain. So man suffered, they were enslaved and eaten and driven across the land. That was until man learned to speak. The words were not a spell, since there were no Mages, but they were magic. Words bring power, and these “FIRST WORDS” brought more power than any before. When these words were spoken, the Dragon Spirits came and ministered to men, teaching them the way to Atlantis. Other spirits came also, binding with them and fathering children and producing half-spirit offspring. People started escaping from Arcadia, bringing some of that power back to Earth.

I don’t know if there is any truth to the story, but... if we could find more about it... possibly even speak these words again... Imagine what might happen! We could change the world again, as much as it was changed the first time! That power is not to be trifled with, I don’t think, though everyone I spoke to called it a myth. Myth, please! How much of what we research has been a myth.

So that’s the majority of what has happened to me over the last month or so. Spending my Christmas away from my family dressed in rough cloth and doing nothing but awful confusing ritual and boring service... is no fun really. Please everyone, enlighten me with the subjects of your own research. How is all y’all doin’? What interesting are you doing? I don’t know when I will get a computer again, but when I do I would love to hear from you all!

Warm Regards,
Christian

((Well there we are! The first post in the new RP, letter edition! I hope it was alright, and offered plenty of new elements for everybody to use in their own posts. That said, please DO NOT hesitate to invent your own W.o.D. stuff. The only things you need to ask permission for are actual magical effects your character learns, and even then only if you are adding an effect that exp could not normally buy (either because it’s new or because it couldn’t ordinarily be bought).

Also ask me if you are doing some research or whatever, so you can ask me what you find. Just include as much info about the line of inquary as possible. Feel free to write these questions to me via paper, as with paper you can expect about a week turnaround on everything you send me. Remember the posting schedule, and thank you to those who play with me: I appreciate it. Not being alone.

-FD))

No comments:

Post a Comment